With the many changes occurring in the world, it’s more important now than ever to find ways to give back to our communities and each other. There are many people that have seen their lives upended or are just going through a difficult time and could use support. Now is as good a time as any to reach out and offer help to those who need it. Invest in the lives of others through volunteering.
Giving back to others can be even easier now by taking advantage of technology to volunteer your services virtually. At Wesley Enhanced Living, we encourage our seniors to give back to those in need in any way they can. There is no better time than now, and we are happy to support you in the process.
Ways You Can Help Others Even from a Distance
When you aren’t sure where to start, why not consider these options to make a difference in someone’s life?
- Work for a Crisis Hotline: There are so many people in the world that just need someone to listen and care, a supportive voice that will let them know that things will get better. You can use your empathy and years of experience to help others through their crises. You can be that connection for those who feel they have no one.
- Become a Virtual Tutor: There are many students that need help and encouragement to succeed in their studies. Using apps like Zoom or Google Hangouts gives you an opportunity to video chat with a child who needs help with math, English, or other subjects. Your investment in their young lives will always be remembered, and you are passing along a model for them to learn by.
- Donate Handmade Masks: Dust off the sewing machine and craft up some masks for grocery store clerks, friends, or others who need one. Imagine all the fun material you can use to change a dull mask into something that makes others smile.
- Check on Your Neighbors: Your neighbor may not be an older adult. It may be a young couple struggling to make ends meet and dealing with the stress that goes with it. Your concern can be a bright spot in their day and lets them know that you are thinking of them and how you can help.
- Donate to Food Pantries: Food banks are always in need of donations. When you shop for your groceries, pick up a few extra non-perishables and drop them off at your local food pantry.
- Mentor a Teen or College-Age Student: Put all your years of wisdom to use by mentoring a teen. Many can use an adult that listens and supports their choices, as well as being a voice of reason when they face some of life’s harder decisions.
Connect with Others and Make a Difference
There are many ways to help others and all it takes is brainstorming creative solutions that can make a difference in someone’s life. You can even gather a group of friends from your Wesley Enhanced Living community to work together! If you are looking for a strong community of seniors to spend your life with, check us out. We offer a variety of living options, such as independent living, personal care, or rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. Make new friends in person while serving others virtually.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.