The hustle and bustle of the holiday season culminate in the age-old tradition of establishing a New Year’s resolution. These include a range of different ideas – losing weight, eating healthier, getting organized, writing a book, learning a new hobby or sport, and so on. We are very good at setting resolutions, but we are not always very good at accomplishing them. Maybe you or your elderly loved one believe this year will be different – and it can be with some helpful tips and the support of the caring staff at a continuing care retirement community.
6 Tips to Work Towards Your New Year’s Resolutions in 2022
When you achieve your New Year’s goals, it sets you up for further success in other areas of your life. Here are six tips to help you reach those resolutions:
- Brainstorm Everything You Would Like to Accomplish: Without having an idea in mind, you may struggle to achieve your goals in 2022. Why not take a piece of paper and pen and write down everything you would love to get done? It doesn’t mean you must do them all, but it is the start of your roadmap. Don’t be shy, either. By putting everything down on paper, you give your brain some puzzles to solve, and it will love the challenge.
- Review Your List and Choose One to Three Goals: Now that your brain is swirling with possibilities, look over the list and choose one, two, or three. You may be excited to get them all done; however, you may find yourself frustrated by February. Instead, pick up to three goals to start the year off.
- Make the Goals Specific: Do you want to lose weight? How much? What is your timeframe? Do you want to write a book? What kind of book? How many chapters? Making a general statement of “I want to lose weight” doesn’t give your brain much to work with. Instead, make it more specific, such as “I want to lose 10 pounds by June 30th so that I can buy a new dress for my granddaughter’s wedding in July.” Now you have created a roadmap from which you can take steps.
- Determine What Steps You Need to Accomplish the Goal: Next, you need to contemplate the necessary steps to get where you want to be by June 30th. In our weight loss example, think about how you can change your diet and increase your exercise. Your steps may include researching nutrient-dense foods and signing up for an exercise class at your continuing care retirement community.
- Write Down Your Journey: Use journaling to celebrate your achievements and work through any stumbling blocks you may come up against.
- Get Support to Keep You Motivated: Support can come in many forms. You might enlist a friend to join you so that you can encourage each other. You can find blogs that help you focus. The supportive staff at your independent living facility can help with encouragement, nutritious foods, exercise classes, and opportunities to reach your goals.
Make a Move to Wesley Enhanced Living and Enjoy Life Fully
You can reach your New Year’s resolutions with the support you receive from the team at Wesley Enhanced Living. We believe life is worth living to the fullest, no matter what your age. That’s why we focus on our residents and offer options to fit their needs, such as independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. Give us a call, and let’s work together to achieve your resolutions.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.