Aging actively, gracefully, and independently is a common goal for seniors today. Technology can provide the most support to help older adults achieve this goal. Life enhancing technology for seniors includes simple, easy-to-use apps on smart phones, wearables, voice and motion-activated sensors, robotics, voice and video communication, and even virtual reality simulation devices. The active aging industry is continuously innovating and introducing new ways for seniors to stay safe, active, and connected. In fact, a CNBC news report says that the active-aging industry in the U.S. — which includes safety and smart-living technologies, health and remote care, and wellness and fitness technologies — is expected to triple in the next three years, to nearly $30 billion.
Whether you live alone or make the excellent choice to move into a continuing care retirement community, technology can help you live life to its fullest. Here are some technological innovations you can take advantage of now:
- Medication Apps: Keeping track of different prescriptions can get confusing. It is helpful to know when you took which medication to ensure your body gets the medication support it needs, in a timely manner. In addition, if you have a reaction to a new drug, the app will indicate recent dosage intake for your doctor to diagnose and assist you with the right treatment. Here are some popular medication tracking apps to help you stay on top of things:
- Medisafe: Not only can you track what medications you take daily, but you can also receive tips, refill reminders, and progress reports. The app is free and available for both iPhones and Androids.
- Mango Health: Managing your medications is only one part of maintaining your overall health. The Mango Health app allows you to track your overall health by providing reminders for your set goals. For example, it can help you track whether you are drinking enough water, taking your medications, and checking vital signs.
- GPS Tracking: Living with Alzheimer’s or dementia is challenging in many ways, for the patient and their caregivers. Find some peace of mind with GPS tracking:
- Freedom Guardian is a device that looks like a smartwatch and is easy to operate. It provides fall detection, 24/7 monitoring, and GPS tracking.
- AngelSense GPS Tracker provides a combination GPS tracker and mobile app that includes unlimited notifications, location updates, email alerts, and more.
- Smartwatches: Used by many individuals for monitoring their steps and heart rates, smartwatches are not just for the young. You can find different types that will pair up with your smartphone. Whichever choice you make, here are a few practical uses you can expect: emergency SOS, fall detection, GPS location tracking, real-time navigation, voice communications, and text messaging.
- Video Chatting: Stay connected with your family and friends through video conferencing. You can use these apps with a smartphone, tablet, or computer with a camera. They include Zoom, Skype, Google Duo (great for Android users), Discord, FaceTime (perfect for iPhone users), Facebook Messenger, and Microsoft Teams.
Tech-Savvy Seniors Enjoy Life and Relationships at Wesley Enhanced Living
Reimagine retirement and how you age, with technology designed to help seniors lead happier, healthier, fuller lives. And you don’t have to do it alone. Enjoying new friends and activities to stay healthy in mind and body is easy when you choose one of our Wesley Enhanced Living communities. We offer independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing, depending on your needs. Join us today!
We provide high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.