When considering retirement choices and moving to a senior living community, many of us think of “an old folk’s home.” It’s common to imagine stereotypical images of the elderly sitting in wheelchairs, bored and lonely. Today, this idea couldn’t be further from the truth. Retirement communities now differ significantly from the kind where our grandparents may have lived. Established independent living communities offer their seniors comfortable, private apartments, delicious meals, medical support as needed, and a ton of opportunities to grow as a person socially, physically, and mentally.
Wondering what senior living in a continuing care retirement community is all about? Here’s a quick overview:
- What will you see? Many people visualize a hospital-like or nursing home image when they think of senior living communities. However, you won’t find stark white halls with glaring hard floor tiles. Instead, these havens are beautifully decorated with carpeted floors, comfortable common areas, lush grounds, and cozy apartments.
- Who will you see? You are likely to find many residents in their early-mid 70s, early 80s, and some older. It’s common to find older adults who love the idea of selling their homes and embracing a new community while still holding down jobs or other volunteer activities.
- Truly, independent living. Moving to a senior living community doesn’t require giving up your independent way of life. Instead, you can enjoy the freedom of a retired lifestyle in a safe, comfortable environment. You are not tethered to the upkeep of a large, unused home. You can come and go as you please and enjoy privacy when you want it.
- New opportunities abound. Research suggests that engaging in new activities helps reduce the chances of developing age-related memory loss and dementia or slows down its progression. Senior living offers you the opportunity to do more and stay healthy. You can create lasting friendships, enjoy an exercise class, or pick up a new hobby.
- Mealtimes are fun times. Cooking for one becomes a chore; but you don’t need to do it. Even though you may have some dietary restrictions that are common as you age, you can still enjoy delicious, nutritious meals cooked with fresh, seasonal ingredients. Your independent living community will cater to meals prepared with seniors’ health in mind. You don’t even have to do the dishes!
Throw Out Your Misconceptions about Senior Living and Embrace a New Lifestyle
Don’t let old myths cast a shadow over your decision to choose a healthy, active retirement life. Explore the comfort, convenience and fun that awaits you at a Wesley Enhanced Living community. Our staff believes that our senior residents are in the best season of life. We prove it daily with our commitment to your comfort and health. You get all the privacy and support you want and need. You can choose how you want to live with our different options, such as independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. Check us out today.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.