Experience the Benefits with Other Foods Too
While its primary purpose is to nourish the body, food also has the amazing power to nourish relationships, by bringing family and friends together. No matter where you go in the world, social gatherings happen around food.
Each country, culture, and community has a preferred or popular way of cooking. In America, frying is common, due to the fast-food industry. However, we have learned that it is not the healthiest way to prepare meals. When looking for other options, grilling makes for a great choice. Most of us may tend to think of an open flame charring a burger or chicken wings. Does that leave seafood lovers out in the cold? Quite the contrary! You can enjoy your favorite seafood right off the grill. Fish fillets taste great barbecued. Shrimp cooks up so quickly that it may become your ideal way to eat it. And don’t forget the veggies! Grilled corn, bell peppers, zucchini, onions, eggplant, sweet potato, and carrots taste delicious grilled with a light marinade of olive oil, herbs, garlic, and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette.
You can also enjoy delicious meals and live life on your terms when you move to a Wesley Enhanced Living Community. Our dieticians understand how to bring together nutrient-rich foods and outstanding flavor to give your taste buds the experience they desire. Our team loves to serve you with other opportunities to grow socially and physically as well.
4 Reasons to Use Grilling as a Preferred Cooking Option
Enjoy more variety to your diet, less fat, and great times with grilling. The health benefits are many and the fun times never leave!
- Reduced-Fat: You do not need as much fat when you grill meat, chicken, shrimp, and vegetables. Any existing fat drips away before you place your food on your plate. You can use a small bit of olive oil to add flavor to your vegetables or lightly spray your grill to keep meat from sticking, and that’s it!
- Retain Nutrition in Vegetables: Overcooked vegetables fail to give you the nutrition you or your senior loved one needs. Roasting your peppers and onions on the grill leaves full flavor and nutritional value in the vegetable. You get the best benefits of their vitamins and minerals.
- Nutrient-Rich Meat: Meat retains more of its riboflavin and thiamine, which help the body turn food into fuel for energy. Who doesn’t want to get the most out of their steak and seafood besides great taste? Try grilling and enjoy fabulous flavor now, and more energy later.
- Increase Social Activity: Socialization is vital for all of us but especially so for seniors. What better way to make friends and maintain relationships than over a delicious, grilled meal? (Psst…clean-up is a breeze, so you can spend more time with friends and family and less time at the kitchen sink.)
Try this Easy Recipe – Grilled Marinated Shrimp
We have a tasty shrimp recipe for you to try. Shrimp, unlike chicken or steak, can take on the flavors of a bright and acidic marinade in just minutes, making it an excellent choice for last-minute grilling. You don’t want to let shrimp sit in a marinade for too long though, because the acid in the citrus will start to firm up and cook the flesh.
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 habanero chilies, seeds removed, chopped
- 1 3″ piece ginger, peeled, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil, plus more for the grill
- Kosher salt
- 1½ lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled, deveined
- Cooked short-grain white rice (for serving; optional)
- Flaky sea salt
1. Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
2. Pulse garlic, chilies, ginger, lime juice, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, and turmeric in a food processor until combined and almost smooth. With the motor running, gradually stream in ⅓ cup oil and process until emulsified.
3. Pour half of the sauce into a small bowl; season with kosher salt. Set aside for serving. Transfer remaining sauce to a medium bowl and add shrimp. Season with kosher salt and toss to coat. Let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Making sure the grates are clean and oiled. Arrange the shrimp on the grill. Grill until bright pink and lightly charred, about 1 minute per side (Shrimp cooks very quickly, be sure to watch carefully, or it will get rubbery.)
4. Divide shrimp among bowls. Spoon reserved sauce over; sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with rice if desired, or accompany with a grilled vegetable.
**If desired, or for a large crowd, you can also skewer the shrimp for easy serving. May be cooked ahead and served chilled, as well**
Get More than Great Food – Enjoy a Fulfilled Life at Wesley Enhanced Living
You are in the prime of your life. Why not enjoy everything life has to offer, including fantastic food, new friends, and regular engagement with others? At Wesley Enhanced Living, you can choose from our independent living, personal care, and rehabilitation, and skilled nursing options. Contact us today and learn why our seniors love it here.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.