As a senior, today’s technology may seem intimidating and confusing to use which is why you might not be all that familiar with what it can offer you. Technology makes it possible to have a wide range of entertainment options at your fingertips. Often, you only need a smartphone and a library card.
Enjoy More Entertainment Choices within the Digital World
Make the most of your downtime with these options at your fingertips:
- E-Readers: Many libraries offer ebooks for their patrons and can assist you in accessing them. You can also read your favorite genre on an Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, your tablet, or smartphone. Amazon and Barnes & Noble have apps you can download to your device, with thousands of free books available to enjoy.
- Audiobooks: For those who would rather listen than read, audiobooks make it easy to enjoy a good book while doing other tasks, like washing dishes or taking a walk. Again, libraries make this possible as do sites like Amazon’s Audible, Apple Books, Walmart, and Scribd. Audiobooks are a great choice if your eyes are tired or if you like having someone read to you.
- Games: Maintain the agility of your grey cells while entertaining yourself when you play free games on your phone, tablet, or computer. You have a variety of options, including number and word games. Sites like AARP have a collection of entertaining online games for seniors. Pick from chess, puzzles, brain games, and card games, among others. There are many different options from which to choose, like Mahjong, Sudoku, and online Scrabble.
- Podcasts: Before the advent of television, families gathered around a radio to listen to different shows. Podcasts have taken up the chalice of auditory entertainment. If you have a favorite blogger or thought leader, they may have a podcast that you can listen to. There are shows about gardening, thought leadership, and true crime. Head over to Spotify, iTunes, Stitcher, or other podcast apps and search for your preferred genre.
- Movies: Enjoy movies from your couch with sites like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, and Amazon Prime that offer many classics as well as newer flicks. You do not have to own a smart TV. A regular television with an HDMI plug and internet connection will do the trick or you can watch on your tablet or smartphone with the app.
Enjoy a Fuller Life – Move to a Wesley Enhanced Living Community
Never worry about what to do during downtime again when you move to a Wesley Enhanced Living community. Our team strives to bring you the best in nutrition and comfort for this fun and exciting season in life. You can live life your way with our many different living options. Choose between independent living, personal care, and rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. Reach out to us today and let us show you why our seniors love it here.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.