Among a myriad of other challenges, 2020 has also fueled our imagination to find unique ways that we can enjoy time with family and friends. We have had to learn how to work from home, school our children online, enjoy the outdoors with safe distancing, and take advantage of online shopping. As many states encourage families to continue staying home, we must get increasingly creative in socializing. One option is to host an online party.
Wesley Enhanced Living encourages families to find ways to sustain their relationships. This holiday season, you can make new memories with your senior by using technology to have a virtual holiday party.
Virtual Party Ideas and Tips for the Holidays
Like all parties, you will need to do some planning. To get started, you will need to choose a date and make a guest list. Unlike in-person parties, your venue choice will be on one of the many platforms like Google Hangouts, Zoom, Skype, or FaceTime. Once you have these essentials taken care of, here are some ideas and tips to make the most of this unique holiday season:
- So Ugly that it’s Cute! Pull out that ugly Christmas sweater gifted to you from a favorite elderly aunt. Think of the fun with family from across the country showing off their elaborate threads. If a sweater is too much for you, how about some ugly, colorful socks? Have your entire group greet each other and wave hello with their toes up!
- Watch a Movie Together: Find a holiday movie that brings in all the warm fuzzies of the season. Consider Netflix or possibly an app, such as the Chrome extension Netflix Party, to ensure all participants can see the chosen flick.
- Have a Simple Event Menu: Food and drinks go with parties. Decide on a simple menu that each guest can make at home. Then everyone can eat and drink the same fare during the party.
- Play Games: Online games are easily found. Find your family’s preferred game or two, and enjoy some fun and lots of laughter as you play. For example, search for virtual board games like Scrabble, Risk, or Monopoly.
- Make Simple Crafts: This may take some preparation but find some simple crafts that use supplies that most have in their home or easily obtained. Then spend some party time crafting and chatting. Once done, participants can show off their work. How about a gingerbread house or a chocolate tower to build and then devour?
- Light Menorahs: Why not share the lighting of the menorah with family? Each evening, you can get together, share the evening blessing, and then light the appropriate candle.
- Open Gifts: After eating and sharing some after-dinner jokes, unwrap gifts that were sent to each recipient ahead of time. You may want to take turns with the presents so that all can enjoy the event.
- Raise a Toast to Your Seniors: Make your seniors feel extra special at this time of the year. Cheer them as they join your virtual party and raise a toast to wish them “Happy Holidays”.
Make the 2020 Holidays a Time to Remember
Keep the familial bonds healthy even from afar with a virtual party to celebrate with your seniors and other family members. When looking for a community that supports you or your senior’s continued growth, choose Wesley Enhanced Living. We provide you a choice of options, including independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. Reach out and contact us about finding your next home.
We support seniors with healthy, nutritious meals and social and physical activities. Get everything you need when you choose to move to one of our continuing care retirement communities.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.