As the cool weather sets in, we tend to spend less time outdoors. It’s important to find things to do that do not involve sitting in front of the television. There are many things you or your senior can do during the cold months. For example, you can knit blankets or caps for newborns at the local hospital. You might learn a new card game with your friends. Maybe fall and winter is a good time to try water aerobics or catch up on some reading.
One very popular hobby to take up as the weather cools is indoor gardening at your continuing care retirement community since it’s a fantastic way to maintain a summer activity during the winter.
6 Ways Indoor Gardening is Beneficial to You
Consider these six ways indoor gardening may help you or your senior:
- Reduce Your Stress: When you feel stressed about an upcoming event, family conflict, or other stressful situation, tending to indoor plants can ease your stress. Some studies have suggested that the task of gardening lowers stress responses in people. What a fantastic way to reduce stress levels by getting a little dirt under your nails taking care of a Snake plant or English Ivy!
- Increase Your Attention: With reduced stress, you may find that your attention span increases because your focus is on caring for your living plants. It is calming, and when you are calm, you can focus on important things.
- Improve Your Outlook on Life: By being calm and focused, you find that life may seem a little less bleak. Seniors can suffer from depression for a variety of reasons. Your plants need you to care for them and talk to them. The reward of being occupied with indoor gardening is an improved outlook on the future.
- Create an Attractive Area: Plants provide an atmosphere of being close to nature. They are inherently beautiful and make any room more attractive. Aesthetically pleasing areas encourage relaxation and community interaction.
- Give You a Sense of Responsibility: An improved outlook also stems from feeling like you are needed. Since indoor plants depend on you, the responsibility assures you that you are needed.
- Add Fresh Herbs to Your Diet: Do you love making a favorite family recipe but miss the fresh herbs needed to make it taste right? Indoor gardening helps alleviate that frustration. Even for your daily meals, you can reach for those fresh, homegrown herbs. Pick a few basil leaves for your pasta sauce or cut up some chives for your scrambled eggs. The fresh taste will make you smile and it’s a great way to get those useful nutrients into your diet.
Take the Fun Indoors with Indoor Gardening at Wesley Enhanced Living
Enjoy new indoor activities like gardening when you move to a Wesley Enhanced Living retirement community. Our team plans many activities to keep you busy and engaged. We love to support our seniors with fun afternoons of social events. Your best days are right here when you choose from a range of options, such as independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. Enjoy the winter season in our warm and welcoming communities.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information!