As the ground thaws, we approach spring with warmer weather and longer days, with fresh air and sunshine – all signs of change and renewal. Perhaps spring is Nature’s way of encouraging us to change old habits for new ones, which isn’t always easy!
Sometimes, especially when living alone, being set in our ways can make it difficult to make improvements to our habits. By moving to a continuing care retirement community (CCRC), seniors can join like-minded individuals and support each other in embracing life and wellness. Making age-appropriate lifestyle changes, exploring senior-friendly diets, engaging in safe physical and social activities, even taking up new hobbies, becomes easier and a lot more fun when you are not alone.
The team at Wesley Enhanced Living provides seniors with several opportunities to be active physically and socially. We strive to support our seniors with nutritious meals and inviting common areas, all within a safe community. We care for our residents like family. Make the move to one of our CCRCs and you can enjoy all that life has to offer, in every season!
6 Suggestions to Take Full Advantage of Spring
Why not make this spring a time to start new habits that will better enable you to enjoy your Golden Years? Here are six suggestions to get you started:
- Make Activity a Priority: Warmer temperatures make us all want to get outside and enjoy the sun. If you don’t already have a pair, buy comfortable walking shoes and head out for a stroll. Not only will you see the trees bud and flowers blossom, but walking helps you control your blood sugar, strengthen your bones and heart, and improve your sleep.
- Dress in Layers: Spring temperatures fluctuate frequently. When heading outside, choose to dress in lightweight layers, wear sunglasses, and use a wide-brimmed hat.
- Eat Seasonal Foods: During the winter, we tend to lean toward heavy foods that bring comfort against the bitter cold. Now, you can add lighter, seasonal foods like asparagus, peas, and strawberries to your diet. Your dietary team at Wesley Enhanced Living creates menus that are nutrient-dense and irresistible to your palate.
- Keep the Water Handy: Dehydration can affect your memory and concentration. You may also find yourself feeling more tired, which can increase your risk of falling. You may not always feel thirsty, but it is a good idea to keep water with you and drink consistently throughout your day. This is especially important when you spend time outdoors or engage in physical exercise.
- Stay on Top of Your Seasonal Allergies: Going outside or opening the windows in your home may have side effects, like seasonal allergies. Pollen is great for bees but not so much for your sinuses! If you suffer from seasonal allergies, be sure to keep medications on hand to alleviate symptoms and limit your time outdoors.
- Visit Your Health Care Professionals: We all pay attention to car maintenance schedules, but not all of us are as particular about timely checkups for ourselves. Now is a great time to set up appointments for physicals, eye exams, and hearing tests. It is also important to talk to your doctor about being more active.
Enjoy Spring with New, Healthy Habits
Why spend time stuck at home when you can explore the world around you and make new friends? You can do so by moving to a Wesley Enhanced Living community. Our team works hard to ensure you have everything you need to stay healthy while also building new friendships. We invite you to take advantage of our many senior living options, including independent living, personal care, rehabilitation, and skilled nursing. We’d love to speak with you! Call us today to find out which option may work best for you.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are now available. Call us today for more information.