Valuable Wellness Tips from the team at Wesley Enhanced Living
One unique joy of retirement is not getting up to a morning alarm. You are free to sleep in, sip your coffee slowly, and even stay in your jammies all day long. At some point, though, you might find that boredom has crept in. Your mind may start to wander a little and memories grow fuzzy. Some retirees grow sentimental as they age.
Many desire to explore the spiritual side of life. They may go back to church or take up meditation. Focusing on your spirit is a great way to stay emotionally healthy. Our continuing care retirement communities (CCRC) encourage residents to explore ways to keep their moods and emotions positive.
5 Suggestions to Enjoy Retirement with Emotional Wellness
Revel in your golden years when you create an emotional wellness plan. Here are five suggestions:
- Participate in Wellness Activities: During a health crisis or a loss of family or loved one, your mind can be hard to quiet. To help stay calm, you can take up meditation, walking, swimming, or yoga. Yoga is not just for the young. Many older adults enjoy participating in “chair yoga” to lessen the chance of injury.
- Discover Ways of Self-Expression: You do not have to express yourself outwardly all the time. Yet, you should avoid holding in stress. Take an art class, start journaling, learn a musical instrument, or take up dance lessons. Check out your local library, community center, or senior center for courses at nominal costs.
- Leave Your Legacy: Do you wonder what future generations will know about your family? Who will take up the challenge of keeping the family’s history and traditions? Writing your autobiography or tracing out your family tree can leave your loved ones with knowledge about their roots and heritage. Take advantage of technology and create a video with generations of your family involved in asking questions and sharing stories.
- Get Some Dirt Under Your Nails: Gardening is an excellent activity to connect with nature, nurture your spirit and lower your stress levels. By using raised beds or containers, you can overcome any mobility issues you might have.
- Help Others Through Volunteering: After all the kids have grown and moved away, you may feel as though you have lost your sense of purpose. Continue to utilize your talents and skills by volunteering with charitable organizations.
Nurture Your Mind and Spirit When You Move to a CCRC
Retirement does not mean life’s joys are over. At our CCRC, we work hard to organize activities that enhance the lives of our residents. Enjoy the benefits of connecting with other retirees when you visit a Wesley Enhanced Living CCRC. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations to arrange a visit and see why our residents love living here. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own, give you a tour, and inform you of our services.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Please visit us to learn more or click here to request more information today.