Tips from the team at Wesley Enhanced Living
You have embraced a lot of new things over the years; personal computers, cable television, the internet, even smartphones. And yet, you still probably have tons of paper coming into your home. From catalogs to bills, if you are not careful, the piles of paper can quickly take over your home creating a stressful and cluttered environment. It could even become a safety hazard if a pile of mail falls to the floor and you slip on it, or hurt yourself bending down to pick it up. Why not choose a different way to manage all the paper coming into your home?
Today’s technology allows you to know what is going on and pay your bills on time without worrying about losing one in a messy stack of paper. You can eliminate clutter, thereby, giving you more time to enjoy retirement and your family. At Wesley Enhanced Living continuing care retirement communities (CCRC), we encourage our residents to learn and enjoy technological advances, especially those that enhance their golden years.
Paperless, Clutter-Free and Efficient
Some seniors have started the transition to using electronic alternatives to pay their bills and receive notifications. Choose to begin your journey with these tips:
- Opt Out of Mail Lists – Every day you receive junk mail in your mailbox. To reduce the amount you receive, you can contact the Data & Marketing Association to sign up for their mail preference service. There are options available to remove your name from most national telemarketing, mail, and email lists. Register online for $2 or by sending the registration form and $3 fee through postal mail.
- Choose E-Statements – Many credit card and utility companies offer the option of receiving your statements via email. You can accomplish this by going to each company’s site and registering.
- Embrace Online Bill-Pay – Banks and other financial institutions offer an online bill paying service. You can even go directly to your electric company’s site to pay your bill instead of writing a check, rummaging around for a stamp, and getting it to the post office.
- Set Up Automatic Bank Withdrawals – If you have specific bills that you have a hard time remembering to pay, consider establishing an automatic bank withdrawal each month. This will cut down on late fees and the sudden discovery that you have no electricity because you forgot to mail your payment.
- Sort Existing Paperwork to Scan and Store – If you genuinely want to be paperless, consider using a scanner to scan paperwork and receipts and store electronically. This can be an excellent option for those piles of paper you had always hoped to “get to someday.”
- Take It One Step at a Time – Sometimes, changing old ways of doing things can be a bit scary. Picture what it will feel like not to have loads of junk mail crossing over your threshold, then choose one step at a time. For example, opt out of mailing lists, then after a couple of months with less mail, sign up for E-statements. You do not have to make all the changes overnight.
Enjoy Life and Companionship at Wesley Enhanced Living
Too much clutter, even if it is in paper form, can impede your ability to enjoy life. Kick clutter to the curb while making new friends at Wesley Enhanced Living. Contact one of our six Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love it here. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own; give you a tour and inform you of our services.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Please visit us to learn more or click here to request more information today.