Thanksgiving is the start of the holiday season. During this busy time of year, we are caught up in planning, organizing, cooking, shopping, and celebrating. It is easy to be so entangled in the festivities that you can quickly lose track of the last time you visited your senior loved one in a senior living community.
The holidays are a great time to spend with your elderly family members, whether parents or grandparents, or even volunteer a few hours to brighten a senior citizen’s day. While the world whirls along at a frantic pace, many seniors are watching the clock tick slower and slower as they get lonelier.
3 Reasons to Slow Down and Visit a Senior Living Community
During this time of general goodwill towards our community, consider these reasons to visit the elderly:
- Help improve a senior’s quality of life. No matter our age, humans need connection with others to stay healthy. Seniors who feel isolated run the risk of associated issues like elder abuse, higher blood pressure, increased mortality, or increased risk of long-term illness. Visiting with your elderly loved ones or volunteering at a facility can make a lasting impact to enhance their quality of life.
- Strengthen bonds and learn your heritage. For generations, family history was passed down through oral traditions. This is a fantastic way to learn more about where you came from and who you are, as well as, build and strengthen family bonds. Studying your family tree can be a lot like a treasure hunt. When you visit with elderly family, you get the opportunity to reconnect and gather more pieces of this valuable treasure.
- Volunteering makes everyone feel better. In today’s culture of selfies, taking a moment to help and encourage someone else goes a long way to make you both feel better about the world. For seniors who do not have family nearby, volunteers can fill in that gap.
Ideas to Share Holiday Cheer with Your Elderly Loved Ones
Senior Living communities strive hard to create activities that enhance the lives of their residents. You can contribute with ideas like these:
- Attend a holiday-themed concert or play
- Create family scrapbooks
- Organize a virtual visit via Skype or FaceTime for long distance family members
- Have a Christmas carol sing-along
No one should be alone during the holidays. Enjoy the benefits of connecting with the elderly when you visit a Wesley Enhanced Living CCRC. Contact one of our several Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love it here. Our staff will be glad to discuss your elder’s needs, give your family a tour, and inform you of all our services.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for your loved ones. Please visit our independent living communities to learn more or click here to request more information today.