Tips to Enjoy Warmer Weather from the Team at Wesley Enhanced Living
A long, hard winter can be summed up in two words – cabin fever! Cold temperatures, biting winds, and chilling snow make it difficult for seniors to get outside. Many people wind up tired, bored, and possibly depressed. Spring is a perfect time to shake off the winter blues, open up the windows, and embrace Mother Nature’s renewing spirit.
Just because you or your elderly loved one are not as mobile as in the years-gone-by, does not mean that life must become dull. There are many activities to take advantage of in the golden years. In fact, retirement should be full of fun and adventure to make up for lost time during your working years. The team at Wesley Enhanced Living encourages all of our residents to live life to its fullest.
7 Suggestions for Enjoying Spring and Summer
Are you ready to break out of your winter shell? We are happy to help! Here are seven suggestions to rejuvenate your mind, body, and spirit:
- Take a Walk: With longer days and warmer temperatures, go ahead and lace up your shoes for a leisurely walk after breakfast and before dinner. Look for local parks and nature trails to explore. Stuck in a wheelchair? Look for smooth, paved trails that are wheelchair accessible.
- Partake in an Outside Concert: Many community parks offer summertime concert series that are low-cost or free. Grab a lawn chair and enjoy the symphony at the park or a local band’s performance.
- Eat Outdoors: You can accomplish this in a few ways. If you have a favorite restaurant that has outdoor seating, you can ask to be seated on the patio. Opt to pack a picnic and enjoy the sounds of children giggling on the playground while enjoying your meal. Summer is a fantastic time for family reunions. Why not make an impromptu gathering a couple of times over the spring and summer? It is a beautiful opportunity to re-engage with long-lost relatives.
- Join a Book Club: Libraries often offer book clubs that will help you get out of the house. You could even start one of your own and meet in the park or at a local diner.
- Go Fishing: Remember tagging along with your dad or older sibling down to their secret watering hole? You may cast more than you catch, but fishing allows you to slow down and embrace the outdoors.
- Take in a Baseball Game: Buy some peanuts and crackerjacks and head down to the ballpark. Take in a high school, college or minor league game. Cheer for the underdog and welcome the lightning bugs in the outfield!
- Head to the Farmer’s Market or a U-Pick Fruit Farm: Spring also means fresh fruits and veggies. Find out when and where your local farmer’s market is and grab those items you have waited all winter to eat. If you are feeling spunky, why not go to a strawberry farm and pick your own? Nothing tastes better than berries straight from the bush.
Take Advantage of the Season at an Independent Living Community
Savor warm temperatures and longer days by spending some time outdoors each day. Your mental, emotional, and physical health will thank you. At Wesley Enhanced Living, we understand that seniors are in the prime of their life. We offer activities and proper nutrition to keep you at your peak performance as you age. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love it here. Our staff is happy to discuss the needs of you or your loved, give you a tour, and inform you of our services.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Please visit us to learn more or click here to request more information today.