Since its inception in 1965, seniors across the country take advantage of the Medicare program. Having protective coverage is prudent as you age because it helps ease the financial burden on you and your family by allowing you to save. Medicare’s re-enrollment period for the 2020 calendar year is currently underway (October 16–December 7, 2019).
Take time to learn about the facts and dispel the myths about Medicare coverage. The team at Wesley Enhanced Living can help you find assistance with understanding what options are best for you and your situation. We enjoy serving our residents with maintenance-free living, a sense of security, and peace of mind in all of our continuing care retirement communities (CCRCs).
3 Most Common Myths about Medicare
It’s easy to get lost in the sea of misinformation. Let’s take a look at the three most common myths about Medicare and learn what the facts really are:
- Myth #1: It is free for everyone. Many Americans think Medicare is a government program that is free for everyone.
- Fact: It is paid through a tax-funded trust fund; however, that does not eliminate the monthly premiums, co-pays, and prescription fees that recipients pay. There are deductibles that are paid out of pocket. It is possible to qualify for free Part A premiums if individuals meet specific criteria.
- Myth #2: You are automatically enrolled at age 65. Some assume that once they turn 65, they will receive their Medicare card without having to sign up.
- Fact: Not everyone is enrolled automatically in Medicare Part A or Part B. Be on the lookout for your card three months before your 65th birthday. If you do not receive one, then you will want to sign up for a plan through Medicare.
- Myth #3: Open enrollment is throughout the year. A popular belief is that you can sign up at any time, and the benefits and fees will remain the same.
- Fact: If you have worked for at least ten years, you can enroll in the program. There is an initial enrollment period around the time of your 65th birthday, which is the best time to sign up. After that, you will need to wait for the annual open enrollment that is generally near the end of the calendar year. This year’s enrollment is from October 16th-December 7th, 2019.
Don’t Miss Out on Your Medicare Benefits –Wesley Enhanced Living Can Help
Remember to re-enroll or sign up for your benefits on time each year, and be sure to seek the right answers to any questions you have at Wesley Enhanced Living.
Enjoy the best that life has to offer when you move to a Wesley Enhanced Living Community. We have several options to meet your preferences and needs. Count on us for safe and secure independent living, or get some extra assistance with personal care. See why our seniors love living here.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own, give you a tour and inform you of our range of services.