Older Americans are more likely to experience vision impairment due to factors such as:
- Macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
There are varying degrees of vision loss that range from blurriness to blindness. Depending on the seniors’ quality of vision, they may require more support and modifications to activities.
How to Support Seniors with Vision Impairment
Aging seniors with vision impairment may require supervision when moving around, and encouragement to remain active. At continuing care retirement communities like Wesley Enhanced Living, trained professionals help seniors safely stay active and engaged in their favorite hobbies.
Below are five activities offered that are well suited for vision impaired seniors to stay healthy, social, and active.
- Gentle exercise: Regular exercise boosts mood, circulation, and overall health. Exercises like chair yoga or water aerobics are light on the joints while improving strength, mobility, balance, and coordination to reduce the risk of falls. Be sure that seniors exercise in an open space free of items they could trip on and have a chair or bar to hold themselves steady.
- Listening to audiobooks or programs: There are millions of easily accessible audiobooks for seniors to listen to. Getting transported to an exciting new place for a couple of hours provides a sense of comfort and connection for seniors with eyesight issues.
- Taking care of physical appearance: Keeping up with physical appearance is beneficial for an aging person’s self esteem and overall health. Manicures and hair brushing become more challenging with age and often require assistance.
- Pet therapy: According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, simply petting a dog lowers cortisol levels, and increases the happy hormone, oxytocin. Feel more relaxed by spending time with a furry friend.
- Listen to music or play an instrument: Listening to music may bring back happy memories, encourage socialization, and boost creativity, while practicing playing an instrument stimulates cognition.
Stay Social and Active at Wesley Enhanced Living
A trusted physician can provide more information about how seniors can stay healthy as their vision changes. Wesley Enhanced Living’s trained professionals understand what it takes to ensure that you have everything you need to manage your stress, live vibrantly, and have a sharp, healthy mind. Whether you prefer Independent Living, Personal Care, Rehabilitation, or Skilled Nursing, we have the perfect option for you. Take a moment to contact us today to learn more about all that we have to offer.
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior living retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations to find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own and inform you of our range of services. Virtual tours are also available. Call us today at 1-866-644-0939 for more information.