Everyone loves a piece of crispy fried chicken now and again, and a little fried food occasionally is okay, but there are ways to enjoy your favorite meats and vegetables without pulling out the cast iron skillet and lard.
Embrace the full-bodied flavors produced when you fire up the grill. At Wesley Enhanced Living, we understand the nostalgia that comes with the “comfort foods” you have always loved. We strive to give our residents all the tastes they crave while keeping their nutrition needs in mind.
Key Benefits of Grilling Your Food Instead of Frying
You have probably heard that grilling your food is a healthier way to cook. Here are a few benefits of grilling for you to consider:
- Lower Fat Intake: Putting your meat over an open flame allows the fat drippings to drop off the food. Unlike when you fry in oil, which adds extra fat.
- Minimal Nutritional Loss: You get to keep all the minerals and vitamins. Vegetables, especially, retain their nutrients. Meats retain their thiamine and riboflavin.
- Fewer Fats Needed in the Cooking Process: Because the grill traps more moisture than frying, you do not need additional cooking oil or butter.
Yummy Recipe to Try Tonight
Are you ready to try your hand at grilling? We have an easy and quick recipe that uses a short list of ingredients probably already in your kitchen. While this can be cooked in a pan, try it on the grill as kabobs with fresh tomatoes, peppers, and onions.
Mojo Shrimp (Recipe Adopted from Delish)
7 cloves of garlic, finely minced
Extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ cup chopped cilantro
1. Make the marinade in a medium bowl by combining garlic, ½ cup olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, cumin, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Reserve about ½ cup of marinade to use later.
2. Add shrimp to marinade and toss until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes, but not more than 30 as the acid from the marinade will start to cook the shrimp.
3. Put on skewers with fresh tomatoes, peppers, and onions. Grill for 3 minutes, turning skewers around halfway through the time. Enjoy your Mojo Shrimp Kabobs!
To cook on a pan:
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When the oil is simmering, add shrimp in a single layer. Sear until the shrimp is pink on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Do not overcook. Flip shrimp and cook 1 more minute.
4. Add the reserved marinade and bring liquid in the pan to a simmer for about a minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and gently stir in chopped cilantro.
Serve over your favorite kind of rice, and enjoy!
Get Help with Your Nutrition Needs at Wesley Enhanced Living
Make positive changes to your cooking habits by choosing to grill your food more often than frying it. Transitioning to a continuing care retirement community at Wesley Enhanced Living is another step in the right direction. We offer our seniors different lifestyle options, including independent living, personal care services, rehabilitation, and long-term care. Check us out!
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own, give you a tour and inform you of our range of services.