As you grow older, you may realize that your get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went! After years of being busy and able to move freely, arthritis has crept into the joints causing pain and discomfort. Opening a jar of mayonnaise for your favorite ham and cheese sandwich gets harder each time. Resting after playing with your grandchildren may leave you stiff and struggling to get up from your chair. While millions of adults have arthritis, you can still go through your day much easier if you consider some alternative treatments to bring you comfort.
At Wesley Enhanced Living retirement communities, we offer a variety of opportunities to increase your flexibility, such as yoga classes, and build your strength. Our team strives daily to provide you with all the tools you need to keep your Golden Years, golden. From nutritious meals to social events to onsite medical assistance, we are here to help you make the most of this glorious season of life.
Alternative Treatments to Mitigate Arthritis
Few of us want to admit we are aging, but “Arthur” makes sure to remind us with aching joints. Besides working with your doctor on living with arthritis, consider these alternatives:
- Acupuncture: This Chinese practice of inserting thin needles into your body at specific spots may reduce discomfort. Look for a credentialed practitioner in your area if you are interested in this avenue.
- Yoga: Stretching your limbs and joints may ease some of your pain. Seek out an instructor with experience teaching students with arthritis to help you adjust your poses accordingly.
- Massages: Who doesn’t love a good massage? Want a reason to get one every week? Massage therapy may be able to ease stiffness in your joints.
- Lose Weight: It is essential to be at an optimal weight no matter your age. When extra pounds put added pressure on your ankles, hips, and knees, trimming down can help immensely.
- Focus on Muscles and Cardio: You may not want to enter weightlifting competitions, but strengthening your muscles can help you improve your range of motion and make you feel better all over. Some exercise categories to look into include:
- Range-of-Motion exercises
- Supplements: The jury is still out for the benefits of using herbal supplements to aid in the management of illnesses and conditions like arthritis. They are not all alike, so talk with your doctor before you add anything to your current medical repertoire.
Get Moving with Less Pain – the Team at Wesley Enhanced Living Can Help
Take back control of your health and manage your arthritis pain with the help of the team at our retirement communities. Enjoy new opportunities to meet new people, stay (or get) physically fit, and eat fabulous, healthy food. We are always excited to meet new people and live life to the fullest together!
Wesley Enhanced Living provides high-quality senior retirement communities for you or your loved ones. Contact one of our Philadelphia area locations and find out why our seniors love where they live. Our staff is happy to discuss your elder’s needs or your own, give you a tour and inform you of our range of services.