Dear Residents and Families:
As you would expect, we place high priority on all information and updates we receive from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH) regarding the COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) around the world and in the United States, as the health of our residents and staff is paramount. While we have not experienced any concern of anyone in our care being impacted directly by this virus, we are nonetheless treating this matter with the utmost caution. To that end, we are collaborating with the CDC, state and local health departments, and the Southeast PA Regional Healthcare Coalition, sharing information, updating emergency plans and protocols, and taking the necessary precautions to mitigate this risk during this fluid situation.
We have active infectious control protocols in place for the flu as well as other common viruses. We have added the following precautions to our existing practices:
- We ask that any family members or visitors that are feeling ill, particularly that have recently traveled to the countries affected by this outbreak, to please refrain from visiting any WEL community.
- We have instructed our employees to take all necessary precautions to protect against the spread of disease, and self-protection (Personal Protective Equipment guidelines). We have equipped them with the protocols for evaluating a Person Under Investigation (PUI) and taking appropriate action.
Additionally, it is important to remember that CDC seasonal flu protocols apply to COVID-19 as well as other common viruses this time of year. These guidelines include:
- Cover coughs or sneezes with your elbow. Do not cough into your hands.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Clean surfaces frequently, including countertops, light switches, phones, remotes and other frequently touched items.
- If you are feeling sick, contact us or your care provider, and generally stay in until you are feeling better.
If you wish to get up to date information on COVID-19, we urge you to check the COVID-19 websites for the CDC (cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov), or the PA Department of Health (https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/disease/Pages/Coronavirus.aspx).
As always, the wellbeing of everyone in our community is our highest priority and we will continue to communicate with you as new relevant information becomes available.